Thursday 5 January 2017

Trenches and other defensive positions on the old Alicante road

At the very far end of the Nature Reserve at the Clot de Galvany you can find some of the best preserved Republican positions on the whole of the Costa Blanca. These positions would have protected the old route from the south up into Alicante when a seaborne invasion supported by Hitler and Mussolini along the coast down to Cartagena was seen as a real possibility. The concrete slit trench would have been equipped with light machine guns behind the main bunkers. It's a long walk through the Reserve to get to these points but the wildlife and scenery en-route are stunning.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Geoff, great work here. I wanted to get to the trenches and was wondering just how far and on which route (1 or 2) I should follow? I managed to locate the second bunker in the photo, however the trench and first bunker above I could not find. I also noticed a huge bunker in the centre of the park, but it seemed to be impossible to get close to as it was surrounded by water.

    Any tips?

    Best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for getting in touch. Makes it all worthwhile. The quickest way to get to the trench and the bunker is to enter via the furthest gate down the road from Carabassi and to work backwards. It is really hard to get to from the other routes. It's close to that top corner nearest the main Alicante road. You are right. There is a massive bunker complex bang in the middle of what is now the flooded area. I took some pictures of it a few years ago and will try and find them. Thanks for getting in touch. Anything else I can help with let me know. Geofff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your help and for responding. I will head back this weekend to try and locate the trench and bunker. I am doing a personal photography project related to the civil war, so your blog is of great help! Thanks a lot again, I will surely ask if I get a bit stuck on some things.

    All the best,

    Zeerek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, when you say the nearest main Alicante road, are you referring to the N332 which is at the back of the park if you are coming from Avenida Carabassi>

      Delete
    2. That's the one. If you go in the furthest gate off the carabassi road the bunkers are sign posted. I would love to see your pictures. Geoff

      Delete